Cinnamon Rolls are a Robinson Christmas tradition. My wife and I make these together the weekend before Christmas and give them to friends and family so that they can make these on Christmas morning. Everyone loves these soft, sugary rolls. It is based on the Cinnabon recipe. Merry Christmas!
Yields 40 Rolls
1 cup Instant Mashed Potato Flakes
1 cup Milk
¾ cup Butter
¾ cup Sugar
2 tsp Salt
2 cups hot Water (for melting butter)
½ cup warm Water (110 degrees F)
2 envelopes of Instant Active Dry Yeast
8 ½ cups Flour, or more if needed
¾ cup Butter, softened
1 ¼ cups Sugar
2 ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Combine potatoes, milk, butter, sugar, salt, and 2 cups hot water in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until butter melts.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Combine yeast and ½ cup warm water in a small bowl.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture to potato mixture.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Continue adding flour 1 cup at a time until soft dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. (about 4 to 6 minutes)
- Place in a bowl and cover.
- Let rise about 1 hour until doubled in size, then punch dough down and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Roll one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 16” x 16” circular square.
- Spread butter on with a basting brush, spoon, or knife, depending on the consistency of the softened butter.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl then sprinkle on liberally.
- Roll up tightly and seal edges
- Cut into 10 slices.
- Place in greased 13” x 9” pan and cover.
- Let rise 30 to 45 minutes until nearly doubled.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not over-cook.
- Cover with some frosting immediately, then cool for 10 minutes and cover with more cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
12 tbsp Butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 tbsp Milk
3 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Let the butter soften overnight at room temperature. A couple hours before cooking put cream cheese at room temperature to soften.
- Beat together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer in a large bowl until creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla and milk
- Gradually mix in confectioners’ sugar and salt until smooth and fluffy.